“A graphic representation of the Queen City of the South for the use of Tourists and Visitors” (front cover).
Robinson, Herbert Edward Cooper
Date of Creation:
This “Map of Sydney”, “Showing principal Streets, Parks, Public Buildings, Tramways, &c., [was] published for sale at the Government Tourist Bureau,... and all Stationers”, and available from about 1909. The wharves between Miller's Point and Gasworks are shown under construction, and Finger wharf, completed 1915, is not shown on the map. Centered on Sydney Town Hall, the map extends from Lavender Street in North Sydney to Victoria Park, and from Elizabeth Island to Potts Point. It follows in the tradition of similar maps issued of Paris, London, and Rome during the same period.
Robinson, well-known publisher of tourist maps, many of which are advertised here on the back wrapper, emigrated to Australia with his English family in 1863. "H.E.C. Robinson's" soon became a byword for maps throughout Australasia; in 1925 the firm took over the Premier Street Guide and developed it as Sydney's leading guide. In November 1959, H.E.C. Robinson Ltd became a subsidiary of the celebrated bookshop and publishers, Angus & Robertson Ltd.