Sketch Map of the Proposed Development Mission Bay Recreational Area, San Diego
Rick, Glenn C., and the San Diego Chamber of Commerce
Date of Creation:
The earliest published official depiction of the planned post-war development of the Mission Bay Recreational Area. The vision is Glenn C. Rick's, the City’s Planning Director, who had submitted the first suggested plan of development in 1935. “With the advent of World War II, and with knowledge of the economic situation that might confront San Diego at its close, with the heavy loss of industrial payrolls, Rick, Mayor Knox and other San Diegans in official and civic life believed that recreation facilities and attraction of tourists could help assure a future of growth and prosperity. In April of 1945, with the winding down of the war, the State Legislature was induced to transfer 2,600 acres of Mission Bay tidelands to the City. In that same month, the voters of San Diego approved a $2,000,000 bond issue for Mission Bay, to begin work on a land and water recreational area. The City also pledged $1,500,000 from capital outlay funds” (San Diego History Center online).
Rick’s plan was issued in advance of the civic vote and intended to introduce San Diego electorate to what Mission Bay could become in the years ahead. It is notable, that neither on the map, nor in the key, no hotels or motels are shown, but there is a small airplane landing strip and a ball park. The drawing also includes a golf course, aquarium, nursery, a marine stadium, bathhouse and stables and bridle paths. There is room on shore and on water for large and small yachts, rowing, sailing and power boat courses, and swimming and picnic areas. A research report to the Chamber of Commerce went even further and proposed Mission Bay as a site for professional football and baseball, for hotels and skating rinks, and perhaps even a Farmers’ Market.